Thursday, September 20, 2007

Milling the Rose; Milling the Bridges

Almost all the remaining wood I need arrived from Hearne Hardwoods this week. I got some massive boards... e.g. a 24" wide piece of European beech that weighs over 100 lbs (in image). I also got a really nice piece of Gaboon ebony for the key veneer.

The beech for the bridges came 2" thick; the bridges are only 0.5" thick on average. I started milling down the planks to rough size today, cutting a chunk out of the big beech plank and flattening a face on the joiner.

Today I also milled down the rose from before. I reduced the thickness of it to less than 1/8" by sweeping the back of it with the mill. I also used an indexing head to clean up the punched pattern around the rim, and cut off the excess material.

No comments: