Friday, July 27, 2007

Leg Carving 1B


I decided I'm most likely going to replace the first leg I carved for a few reasons: 1. I didn't rough it out finely enough, so the edges are too wavy; 2. I made it too deep, so the bases of the raised elements stand out and are ugly; 3. overall I'm more used to the tools and think I can do a better job.

In just three hours today, I got as far as these pictures show. Notice the band along the edge is a totally consistent width. The carving isn't nearly as deep (though I really can't decide if I like the carving deep or shallow). Most of the speed came from roughing out the shapes with a high-speed cutting bit on my Dremel tool. If I can get to the point where I finish a leg every five days, I'll be quite happy.

I still can't quite get the organic look to the carving that the original had :(. It's getting better though.

Please take a look at the first leg a few posts down. I'd like to know other people's opinions!

No comments: