Thursday, December 21, 2006

Introduction


I'm a first year at MIT and I'm building a harpsichord.

I've played piano for about 12 years; since coming to MIT I've switched to (or added to my instrument breadth) harpsichord. It's a fantastic instrument that came before the piano. Instead of the strings being struck with a hammer, they are plucked with quills.

J. S. Bach didn't write much for piano - when it was invented, he wasn't thrilled with it, and continued writing primarily for harpsichord and organ as keyboard instruments.

This harpsichord is a very special one. It was built probably in 1736. The original is on display at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. It is heavily gold leaved, painted very ornately, and belonged to one of the wealthiest families in France at the time.

An MIT alum, R.K. Lee, apprenticed under Frank Hubbard, who restored the instrument in the 70s. Lee drew up very inclusive plans of the instrument, which I am basing my construction on.

I'm doing most of the construction at the MIT Hobby Shop with the help of Hayami and Ken.

No comments: